September 27, 2012

leather applique

Ages ago I picked up a bunch of leather remnants and now with the cooler nights I've been in the sewing room tackling the pile.

This black piece didn't photo too well, it's not as shiny as it appears.

It's a string bag worn like a back pack.

A big pocket inside with a leather flap and a key ring.

Drawstring closure makes it easy for quick opening and closing.

The string attaches to the bag through a metal loop tab.

- - - - - - - - 
More applique

and a big pocket.

 I can't wait to start using this bag. 
The only problem is the handle is not attached yet.
I designed the pattern but did not make a fabric sample.  
Attaching the handle is not going to be as easy as I thought.

September 15, 2012

summer nature study

Today is the Fiberactions group reveal.
This challenge was to use a triadic color scheme.

Drawn images from my sketchbook were transferred onto silk cloth. 
I then made a quilt sandwich and outline stitched the images with a thick upholstery weight thread.  Using a variety of textile paints, inks, crayons and markers the triadic color scheme was added.

Once the paint and inks were dry the images were quilted with silk threads.
The edges were finished with a satin stitch and each became a mini quilt.

The background is a piece of dyed burlap.  There is a photo of the burlap shown below.  It was solid violet and I made a freezer paper stencil to add the darker design.
The burlap was sandwiched and completely quilted before the mini quilts were attached.
In hind sight - the burlap did not require an additional painted design, nor the decorative quilting because neither shows.

 Small beads, buttons and embroidery threads were added to fill in some of the blank spaces.

This was a fun project to work on. 
 I enjoyed spending time on each of the mini quilts in between busy summer activities and completing other tasks.  

Check out the other triadic color works at the Fiberactions blog here.