Gallery

May 15, 2010

Convergence -

Today is quilt reveal day for the Fiberactions group and our challenge word this term was convergence.

This is my interpretation and it's named
-HeLa-



Insprired by the book
"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.

 Interweaving: history, research, ethics, culture, bio-medicine, race, love, emotion, fear, genetics, compassion. . .  
all of which converge together in the background of one woman's story.

+ + + + +

  DNA



+ + + + +
HeLa cells in culture under fluorescent light.












+ + + + +

This was perhaps the most difficult challenge for me. I do not generally, if ever, work in the abstract. I struggled with this right down to getting a good photo - - -
this was a challenge!




5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I saw something about this woman on TV recently. I think you did a great job of interpreting her life.

Kay said...

This book was fascinating, and I think you made a wonderful choice of subject for the challenge. It's a very appealing piece, too.

Connie Rose said...

Love those closeups, Kathy...and the quilt, of course!

Debra said...

Very contemporary and the techniques you used support the style well.

Sue Bleiweiss said...

awesome!