Gallery

September 19, 2011

summer's harvest

One of the things I did this past summer was take a pottery class.
It was great fun to see our progression from beginning to end.



  
These are slab bowls and look pretty 'organic' I've been told.  It's clay rolled with a rolling pin like you would roll dough.  Textures were pressed in before firing and then glazed very simply.


 they look much better dressed


  Mug making was not so successful, but we have been using this one. It's small, though.
The red bowl was one of the last things made and it's almost round.
They were made on the potter's wheel.

 I had the most fun making beads, and that was sort of like making little cookies.


 A tiny bowl just the right size for dipping and a plate for serving.
 both made on the wheel


and two more things made on the wheel


I liked learning a new art, but I think it's safe to say I'll be sticking with needles and thread.

I was inspired, though, to continue to play around with some more clay...
...so over the weekend I had some time and made this little pendant using my vintage button as a stamp.


4 comments:

Elaine said...

They look great. Your pottery takes me back to my college days when I used a wheel anyways. I never rolled the clay to make a bowl, but that seems like a good idea.

mom said...

I see mine...they look good! Mom

Anonymous said...

They all look great Kathy, I would love to take the class sometime. I love the pendents!

Debra Dixon said...

I like those medallions too!

I'm doing a little knitting to break out of the quilting all the time routine.