Gallery

February 26, 2010

"dying" to take a break...




Instead of quilting- today Kathleen, Sue and I got together to dye fabric.

Sue mixed up this huge selection of colors for us to work with.



I didn't really have a plan so I  just went to work mixing and combining colors.  I brought  half yard cuts of Egyptian cotton, vintage linens and an ivory crocheted table cloth. 


I did quite a few purples,  a really great nuclear green.....



...the usual obsession of pinks....


...a yellow and a few cool shades of blue.

~~~~~~~~~~



I mixed a few trays of combined colors. 
This particular tray of color was affectionally named "yikes".


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Both Sue and Kathleen put some lengths of fabric around pvc tubes, then added the dye to it.


Here is one Sue did.

~~~~~~~~~



And here is a piece Kathleen did. The red was more of a fuchsia in real life.

~~~~~~~

The hard part is waiting the time to rinse my fabrics. I can't wait to see the new colors! 

~~~~~~~~

But for now its time to get back quilting.




5 comments:

Lisa A said...

Ooooo! Can't wait to see the finished product with all those yummy colors!

Deb Levy said...

Oh Kathy, the dyes look yummy! Looking forward to seeing them finished.

And the quilting...as beautiful as ever!

Debra Dixon said...

Yikes is my favorite so far! Come over to my house and play dye with me!

Judy said...

I did some hand dying last summer and I still haven't cut into the pieces. Maybe that should be a project for 2010. Keep us posted on what you do with that yummy fabric.

Kay said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What fun! Pretty darn nice quilting there too.