Gallery

September 22, 2008

Wingman

So, do you know what a wingman is? Its the person you travel with when you go somewhere. Like, way back when, when you were going to bars and singles parties. Your wingman was the person that helped you get out of a situation with the skeeby guy and helped you get into a situation with the cute guy. And, you did the same for her. Or him, or whoever you were traveling with. The term wingman is universal, it doesn't need to be gender specific.... it's not wingwoman, or wingperson. Wingman regardless, its okay and we are okay with it. Wingman says - I got your back, I got you covered, and I'm your conscience.....

I went to the World Quilt Show in NH this past weekend with two wingmen, aka; Sistahs. We saw beautiful quilts, lots of art quilts and lots of talent, very inspiring. Where the wingman comes in, is shopping at the vendors. Like, if an embroidery lady is trying to sell you beautiful embroidery stuff that you know (and your wingman knows) you will never use, it is wingman's job to get you away from embroidery lady.... Or, if you have 7 bolts of different pink batiks in your arms, wingman is supposed to help you narrow down the ones you 'really' need as opposed to letting you buy them all, because you want them all. (Then offer you chocolate). Wingman is a rotating position. It's just important that there is always one coherent wingman, because.....

.....As the day goes on all wingmen get tired.... which means: more batiks, silver quilt charms, a jacket pattern, 2 sets of purse handles, purse closures, Featherweight darning foot, and Satin-edge creative sewing foot...... Other than the satin-edge foot, which is supposed to revolutionize my machine applique and post card making, I'm not sure any of my new items will do anything to reduce my UFO status. Ouch, what happened, here?

All in all, it was a fun and inspiring day. Seeing quilts from all over the world is really neat, sharing the love of quilting and fiber arts. Also, it was fun to see other groups traveling together viewing quilts, shopping and wingmanning.

For today, I have some much needed mindless quilting to do..... I need to finish up a quilt which my Guild is putting in a raffle basket to go to the Center in town we use for our sewing events. And, I need to quilt Alex's quilt, as he will be visiting home this weekend. It is beginning to get chilly and it is a nice time to have a new quilt. Or, that is my excuse for not having it finished in June, when he actually graduated and it was hot.....
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

heheheh your wingmen sound like mine! I tire them out way too quickly.