Gallery

October 2, 2008

Making More With What I Have

I began to cut into my luscious stack of batiks and quickly realized I did not have enough of a variety of tone or tint (?) between my selection of fabrics. Recently, I read on the Painted Thread that she used old fashioned RIT dye to dye some fabrics. I gave it a go with some white Egyptian cotton fabric I had leftover from another project. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, although, I still felt I needed more of a range. Initially, I was worried I was not using enough of the dye, so I put more in for good measure and ended up with darker shades than I was looking for. I quickly learnt that I could trust the dye and didn't need to add more. The second set I did use less dye and also tried mixing some of the dyes to create new colors. Again, the pieces were very close in hue to each other, but will work overall with what I need them to do. My next attempt will be to over dye some of my batiks as well as try to get a wider range of color intensity within one color.



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Debi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This giveaway is so much fun. I am inviting you to be a participate and host your own giveaway in my Whirl into Winter blog giveaway on January 1, 2009. Thanks again for the great comments.

Smiles! Becca said...

Oh my my my.That fabric is wasy way to yummy!

Kathleen McKenna Murphy said...

Hi Kath!

Nice Blog! Your colors are great, I can't wait to see you are making.

Lisa H told me to check out your blog with Thomas and Beezy, great project!