Gallery

December 13, 2008

The Holiday Quilt


I used the Pine Needle pattern by McKenna Ryan: Journey to Light, to make this Holiday quilt. I named my quilt "Coming to Life One Blustery December Night."

I began the quilt on the day my youngest son (now 10 year-old) started kindergarten. A friend aka sistah, challenged me to finish it by Christmas of that same year. I have fond memories of working on it during the 2004 Red Sox playoff/world series games... thankfully the playoff games that year were lengthy, which allowed me to get most of the blocks accomplished. I also took it to a Fall Get away weekend and then enjoyed finishing it during a snowstorm while I watched inches upon inches of snow pile up outside my sewing room window. The top was finished by Christmas and I took some time to quilt it with fancy threads and embellishments after the Holiday season was over.

At the time I made it, I didn't know any better and used thick fusibles. Today the quilt is really stiff and gets a lot of creases when it is stored during the off season. I wish I had known about some of the lighter weight fusibles which are available now.

I free-motion satin stitched around each of the fabrics and hand stitched beads, sequins and embellishments. I will have to go and see if I can get a good shot of the whole quilt. It's a fun one to look at with all of the stitching and embellishments. I was inspired to post the pictures after watching the deer in my own yard under the huge full moon, last night.

Enjoy the season!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

It is wonderful! Surely a family treasure to be eagerly awaited each holiday season.