Using the crewel work images as inspiration, I freehand drew out the additional images to fill the remaining white space.
Color was added to the images and the white background. The images were then outline stitched with a 40wt cotton thread. My original thought was to hand embroider the outlines, then I decided not to....
Sometimes I tie off the threads as I go, sometimes I leave them and do them all at once. I left the threads here and need to sit and tie them off. Using a square knot, I tie the bobbin and top thread together. Then a large eyed needle is inserted into the hole the last stitch made. The needle threader threads the tails through the needle eye like a hook. The tails can be pulled to pop the knot into the layers and then the tails can be safely cut. I used to use the self threading needles, but found my threads would cut when I pulled them into the eye. Then, the stitches had to be picked back tied and stitched back in. I was loosing time and $, so I find this system works for me. Threading the eye without the threader can work also, it's just quicker for me to use the threader..... I keep one on a magnet on my longarm handle and one in my sewing kit I made specifically for tying off threads.
I haven't decided if I want to use a heavy gold thread in the background or a thin 100wt that won't show. This has been a fun little project to play around with the inks and paints.